Skip to main content

Thoughts on Galatians 6.1-10


Several years ago, Dick Wills, former episcopal leader for the Nashville Area of The United Methodist Church, introduced to the Memphis Annual Conference a spiritual discipline called the LifeJournal.  It's a Bible study method, employing a technique known as SOAP, wherein the reader approaches the scripture, makes basic observations, considers its application, and forms a prayer for God to bring fruit from what's been learned; I've used it in my personal study ever since.  Starting with this post, I'll occasionally share my journaling here.  May you be blessed by something you find, and encouraged in your own journey through God's written Word.

S  Brothers and sisters, if a person is caught doing something wrong, you who are spiritual should restore someone like this with a spirit of gentleness.  Watch out for yourselves so you won’t be tempted too.  Carry each other’s burdens and so you will fulfill the law of Christ.  If anyone thinks they are important when they aren’t, they’re fooling themselves.  Each person should test their own work and be happy with doing a good job and not compare themselves with others.  Each person will have to carry their own load.  Those who are taught the word should share all good things with their teacher.  Make no mistake, God is not mocked.  A person will harvest what they plant.   Those who plant only for their own benefit will harvest devastation from their selfishness, but those who plant for the benefit of the Spirit will harvest eternal life from the Spirit.  Let’s not get tired of doing good, because in time we’ll have a harvest if we don’t give up.  So then, let’s work for the good of all whenever we have an opportunity, and especially for those in the household of faith. (Galatians 6.1-10, CEB)

O  St. Paul, speaking to the Galatian church, offers instruction regarding how persons--particularly within the body of Christ--ought to care for one another.  Verse 1 offers an important exhortation to "restore [wrongdoers] with a spirit of gentleness," followed in the next verse by the imperative to "carry each other's burdens."  The passage closes with the apostle reminding us to "work for the good of all."

A  A primary challenge in these verses is that they expect something of believers that's generally counterintuitive for human beings.  Typically, when "a person is caught doing something wrong," we're more likely to call for punishment than we are forbearance.  We're more likely to focus on the improper action than underlying causes.  Simply, we're often more about guilt than we are about grace.  Truly, context matters; I can't advocate for committers of heinous crimes getting off scot-free.  But God's ultimate aim for creation isn't annihilation; it's restoration.  It's that it'd be made new.  A proof of this is the self-giving of Jesus, who carried our burdens under the weight of a cross and freed us from them through his death and resurrection.  The same selflessness is expected of us as we encounter others who have fallen; in this, we "fulfill the law of Christ": to love God and neighbor.

P  Forgiving God,
thank you for the ways you've pardoned me and pardon me still.
If you kept a tally of my sins, I'd have no hope.
But my hope lives in your promise to love me,
regardless of my faults and failures.
Help me to love others in the same way--
not leaping to retribution, 
but desiring that all would know the grace you offer.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Ephesians 5.1-2, 6-14

S   Therefore, imitate God like dearly loved children.  Live your life with love, following the example of Christ, who loved us and gave himself for us.  He was a sacrificial offering that smelled sweet to God.  Nobody should deceive you with stupid ideas.  God’s anger comes down on those who are disobedient because of this kind of thing.  So you shouldn’t have anything to do with them.  You were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord, so live your life as children of light.  Light produces fruit that consists of every sort of goodness, justice, and truth.  Therefore, test everything to see what’s pleasing to the Lord, and don’t participate in the unfruitful actions of darkness.  Instead, you should reveal the truth about them.  It’s embarrassing to even talk about what certain persons do in secret.  But everything exposed to the light is revealed by the light.  Everything that is revealed by the light is light.  Therefore, it says, Wake up, sleeper!  Get up from the dead, a

Thoughts on Ritual

One of the issues I’ve most frequently bumped up against in my relatively young ministry is that of the use of ritual in worship.  To clarify, the arguments against ritual have normatively been aimed at use of specific liturgical elements—responsive readings, recited creeds, written prayers, et cetera (rarely, if ever, has anyone groaned about lighting candles, processing the Bible, or offering a benediction at the conclusion of worship—though these are ritual too).  All the same I’m sympathetic to those who are hesitant to embrace ritual, because I’ve been there.  I’m well aware that it can feel cold, rigid, or uninspired.  I realize that, at times, it seems like dropping formalities in favor of extemporaneity can facilitate a feeling of “Spirit-led” worship. Yet the problems so many Christians have with ritual stem, in my opinion, from a lack of understanding about what it is.  Ritual is, in reality, just a particular way of doing something.   It’s a customary practice.  But we

The Touching of Heaven and Earth

It's been a few years since I first encountered the phrase "thin places."  I wish I could recall precisely where I read or heard it––my best guess is that it was during my seminary studies––but I'll never forget the chord it struck with me, because of what it conveys. The notion of thin places is especially popular in Celtic spirituality, and has to do with the idea that there are some places––not necessarily physical locations––where the presence of the divine is most tangible, most real .  I can myself point to a number of experiences wherein God's closeness was so overwhelming that even if for a moment I felt we could be no closer.  My baptism.  Most every time I've baptized another.  The sharing of the Eucharist in nursing facilities.  Conversing with persons who are incarcerated.  Worshiping with congregations of other racial and ethnic identities.  These are the sorts of places that, for me, are so "thin" that it feels as if heaven and earth